As a reminder to parents of 2nd graders – Crow Island’s 2nd Grade Bike Safety program will be run outside of the school day by the PTO and Bike safety Committee. It will take place this Friday, April 9 after school hours with a sign up genius for time slots.
Crow Island 2nd Grade Bike Safety Checklist April 2021
- Reserve a time slot – time slot https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4da8a92ea4f85-ci2ndgrade
- Review 4 forms with child
- Watch 2 bike safety videos
- Teach your child how to use a bike lock
- Register your child’s bike with the Winnetka Police Department: http://www.villageofwinnetka.org/DocumentCenter/View/185/Bicycle-Registration-Form-PDF
- Attend Bike Safety Event at Crow Island on Friday, April 9th (or 16th in event of rain)
The Bike Safety Committee will conduct a bicycle inspection (bike check, helmet fit check) and brief bike safety test (obstacle assessment and street crossing assessment) for all 2nd grade students after school. Children who wish to ride their bikes to school must ride their bike through the bike safety course. If your child demonstrates stable bike riding skills, he/she may begin riding a bike to school. The bike safety test is only for children riding bikes (no scooters or roller bladers please). If your child does not ride a bike for the riding portion of Bike Safety Day or does not feel secure enough to ride his/her bike to school, he/she may ride a scooter (but not a bike) for the remainder of the year.
Please follow these steps to prepare for the Bike Safety assessment:
- Signup for a timeslot on the following signup genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4da8a92ea4f85-ci2ndgrade
Note due to COVID, there are 4 available timeslots to choose from beginning at 3:45p.m. which is after school lets out for the afternoon session. We anticipate these sessions will last 15 minutes.
- Review the 4 forms below with your child prior to the assessment
- Watch the following TWO bike safety videos with your child. (Note: The first video advises young riders to always have an adult with them while riding their bike. This may not always be the case, especially when 3rd graders ride their bikes to school independently, but the rest of the information in the video is useful).
- Teach your child how to use a bike lock and make sure he/she memorizes the combination (and has it written down in a safe place).
- Lastly, due to COVID, the Winnetka Police Department will not be participating in this year’s program. CLICK HERE to register your child’s bike with the Winnetka Police Department by following this link (you may mail, email or fax the completed form). This step must be completed for students intending to ride their bike to school.
How you can help on Bike Safety Day on 4/9:
- Please accompany your child to Crow Island with his/her bike and arrive at the beginning of your scheduled timeslot.
- Due to COVID, only the student and one parent/caregiver may attend.
- We will meet in the back of the school and conduct the bike safety assessment on the blacktop.
- Masks are required and must be worn at all times.
- Maintain a distance of 3-6 feet except with your own child.
How you can help after Bike Safety Day:
- Make sure your child always wears a helmet when riding his/her bike or scooter.
- Remind your child to walk their bike or scooter on school property.
- Remind your child that bikes can be parked and locked at the bike rack closest to your child’s classroom.
The Rain Date is Friday, April 16.
If you/your child is not able to attend or does not feel comfortable with attending the in-person bike safety test, he/she should view the above materials and review and complete the virtual option as presented in this bike safety obstacle course video.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Have fun and be safe! Happy biking!
PTO Bike Safety Committee
Dates: Friday, April 9
The Rain Date is Friday, April 16.